Yesterday I had my lovely friends J. and N. over for dinner. From the moment they walked through my doorstep they we're all giggly..so I asked them; what's the story?! and they start telling me they accidentally ranged on the wrong doorbell from my neighbours but the weird part was that someone even opened up the door without asking 'who's there ? (here in Amsterdam a lot of the apartments have a 1 door entrance) so they started walking up the stairs and while doing that screaming hysterical for my name EVAAAAAA EVAAAAAAAAA....(good god..), then a lady opened up her door and she's like.. 'I don't think that the Eva you're looking for lives here'.. the girl who lives here above me named Floor. HAHA.. so feeling a bit embarrassed they shuffled their way back outside.. and of course called me asking me where the F#ck is your entrance honey?! oh well...As sweet as they are they gave me a delicious red wine and a sparkling pink champagne..to go with the food! so Thanks again J. and N.! Oke and now let me tell you about the dishes I made for us!
RAW zucchini (= courgette) salad (4 pers.):
- 2 zucchini's (dutch transl. courgette) - I used my spirooli to slice them in noodle shapes in just seconds of time!
- a handfull tasty tomatoes (sliced in half)
- 1 BIG mango (sliced in small cubes, if you can't find mango in your supermarket you can also buy a small box of frozen mango cubes in the freezer department of your supermarket)
- a handfull chopped coriander leaves
- 25 steamed shrimps (you can just easily boil them too, or even for the lazy ones buy the pre-cooked one)
- 1,5 shot of Soy sauce (kikoman)
- 1,5 shot of fish sauce
- 0,5 spoon of sesame oil
- juice of 2 limes
- I always like to top my salads of with a mix of black and white sesameseeds.. just because it makes it all even prettier! ;)
What to do?
- well mix everything together in a big bowl.. and really.. that's it!
How to make a damn tasty curry:
- 6 limeleaves
- 2 lemongrass
- 2 spoons of curry
- 2 spoons of massala
- 1 spoon of chilli powder (depends on how spicy you like it)
- 1 onion (I used a purple onion)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- a big chunk of ginger ( something like 7 x 2 cm)
- a shot a vegetable oil
Mix all these ingredients using your kitchen machine and there you have it.. your very own curry paste!
- 1 piece of Tofu (chopped in cubes 2 x 1,5 cm)
- mushrooms ( use any kind you love)
- 1 red paprika
- 1 shot of kikoman
- 1 shot of fishsauce
- some sesame seeds to top it of
What to do?
start slicing the tofu first, and fry them using a bit of coconut oil in your wok. Meanwhile you can start making your curry paste as the tofu takes something like 10 minutes to turn into goldenbrown. Set the tofu aside when they're nice goldenbrown. Use the same wok and again use a bit of coconutoil and now add the currypaste and stir it a bit (using medium fire), after 2 minutes you can add the mushrooms, keep on stirring. let it simmer a bit and then the moment you think the wok is getting a bit dried out add the shots of soy and fishsauce to it. keep on stirring and then add the coconut milk.. at last add the chopped paprika bits in..wait 2 more minutes on max heat. (I like it when my veggies are still a bit crunchy so that's why I add the paprika at last)
And for dessert..well I think there's no need for words eh? I think it's nicer when you put your dessert on one big plate instead of each having his or her own small plate. This way we just slowly eat bit by bit.. Sharing is Caring! J and N. left my place around 23:00 .. let me tell you one thing.. THANK GOD I have a DISHWASHER ;).
I am Eva Lia and I am the founder of The Cookteaser - a food blog and whole food catering/event business based in Amsterdam.
FOLLOW ME ON
If you have any requests for me to use a certain product or dish you want me to give The Cookteaser Make-over, please contact me and I'll try to make it happen!
I love to work with new ingredients and I see it as a great challenge to make it a delish dish!
My Food Diary